Walking in Circles by Jeanne Bouza Rose

  



I am delighted to welcome Orkney based, international artist Jeanne Bouza Rose to the Quoyloo Quill. Here, she shares with us her thoughts and experiences of lockdown, the American elections and what keeps her art fresh.


Walking in Circles

….Jeanne Bouza Rose

 

I was late getting the old body going again this morning.  With each glance out the window, I thought, no need to rush.  It is throwing down the rain and the wind is whipping it around.  It is another day when raindrops hit the face like pointy icicles. 

My feet dragged. I would have moved faster if I saw the sun, or if the dog became desperate. Finally, I simply summoned the courage to brave the elements and stick to this one habit—circling the stones.

Luckily, there was a bit of sun in the back garden, but unluckily an ominous grey-blue sky out the front path. But I put one foot in front of another and kept walking to the car.  My dog and I would head to the Ring of Brodgar, the UK’s third largest stone circle and henge, no matter what.

THE ROOT OF THE IDEA

Why was I braving the elements? With the lessening of the lockdown and with fewer responsibilities, I started painting outdoors in June 2020.  Always, I choose the best days of sun, blue sky, and no wind.

Then the weather turned. By late October, I was sitting in my car below the Ring of Brodgar trying to paint the sky without painting the inside of my car. The wind and cold had quickly squashed my idea of working outside. With seven days to go before the USA elections, I realized I had the good fortune to be in Orkney away from political mayhem and rampantly spreading COVID. But I wanted to do something to make at least a small difference.

Was possible I might be the only American living in Orkney that would think to do something? With a glance back up at the Ring and the sun glinting on the stones, I realized I had to use the standing stones at the Ring of Brodgar. The Ring has been a strong influence in getting me to Orkney. But over the years and with the inflow of tourists, I had become an infrequent visitor to the iconic site.  I decided to walk it every day.

THE PLAN

It would be perfect. I could walk my dog, let her smell all the rabbits and hares she wanted, and think deeply.  I created a simple mantra that I hoped would stay in my mind as I circled the stones. The idea thrilled me. I would move around a ring where 6,000 years ago, other people had done the same.  My steps and thoughts would be a connection to my family and friends across the Atlantic where there was so much disharmony, radicalization, and worry.

On the 25th of October, the day after the idea was hatched, serendipity happened.  I saw the Scottish Ranger, Elaine opening the gate as if to allow us to get socially distant closer for a catch-up.  She smiled broadly and announced that the gates were now open to the Orkney public!  For the past two years, this gate and fencing have prevented normal access to the inside of the ring. The stones were blocked from being touched. But now I could.  My smile went from outside to inside for my crazy idea had just been, in a way, sanctioned.  Touching, walking, and reciting.  A perfect plan.

THE ACTION

It took a few days to get the pace and the words in place. I stumbled over both.  Eventually the words got so stuck in my head that even when my thoughts wandered or when I stopped for photos, I could sense their ever-present hum. 

Walking the Ring started as a political intention.  The USA election ended, but the strife did not.  My mantra had been chosen to highlight the philosophy that things get worse before they get better: “The worse has come, so let it be done. Protect friends and family. Let goodness, hope and gratitude prevail. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.” So, I did not lose hope, but kept at it, past the election day—through all the strife.

PAINTING ALLOWED

The mid-November weather turned extraordinarily warm and still. This gave me the idea that I could add to my plein air paintings. Without any visitors around, I managed a number of outdoor paintings sitting in and around the Ring.  I have been painting small, so I think there are nearly twenty paintings from November alone.  I usually painted more than one small work each of the seven days before November 3. I sat at the four cardinal directions focused on the corresponding set of stones.  I have an idea to use these for my 2021 calendar “The Ring Sings Hope in 2021.”

Winter finally arrived in December. The painting outside ceased, but the strife across the ocean did not.   A habit had been born and well, that election still wasn’t settled.  The worse was and is still happening, and still things had not gotten much better.  So, I walked in the seventy mph gales in early December, and the rain just blew off of me. The grass around the stones blew around them like a visible tornado.

WEATHER GODS

Up until now, I have missed only three days. Each skipped day found me at a loss, for now, I crave the daily drive up and over the hill out of Stromness with the chance to see the seals or otters and swans.  My dog still needs a walk and loves the rabbit warrens around the Ring. And mostly, despite days of rain, my walk has fit between the showers, and I have not yet been soaked!

Serendipity still happens. Today I figured the weather was changing so swiftly that I would just have to get wet.  Yet, as I drove up and parked, the sun appeared, and my entire “RingWalk” was in sun.

 When I entered, I saw across the Ring, a partial rainbow. By the time I finished the Ring walk, the complete HUGE rainbow hovered over the Harry Loch. It seemed to confirm my daily habit and hopes. It certainly helped me get past the news of the insurrection at the US Capital on the 6th of January. But I kept my hope in check, because as I walked down to the car a big grey cloud raced behind me. Surely it was going to dump in seconds. 

I didn’t rush, but I made it to the car. As I turned the key, the heavens opened, and I smiled and thanked the weather gods for the rain being held off, rainbows ignited, and hopes coming true!

SUCCESS!

I have heard some people say, “Covid is the beginning of the end.” But I think my mantra may have begun its work.  It has had some bumps and invasions of ill will, but there was a peaceful inauguration in the USA.  Folks all over are getting vaccines. Just maybe, the ending of the worse is in progress? 

Ultimately, I chose to do something at the Ring of Brodgar because I could, and the habit got me to get up and go outside each morning. Sometimes, it takes staying still to get a 360-degree view of a familiar place. You might be the only one with that view.  It doesn’t have to be pretty or ancient.  It could be an outside view or an inside one from your most comfy chair. It could be looking at a special object or out of your window.  The important thing is creating time in your day to mull over words that fit for you.

EXPANSION

My friends in Kilbarchan told their friend, a housebound single woman about my activity. She decided to join me and now is doing some laps in her house. As she moves she imagines the stones as she circumnavigates her floors.  I know that when there is a will, there is a way. We all have the time now, and we don’t have many “ways” to choose from. But surely there is something you could do to add the power of your mantra to mine.

Say the words that will mean something for you and the world. Push more positive thoughts into the atmosphere.  A routine focused on a better world, a habit so you don’t forget, and a modicum of wonder might get us all to a better place. At the very least, it may just give you a reason to get up in the morning and know that you are making a difference.  




 

                              http://www.artworksoftheearth.com/

                              http://www.jeannebouzarose.me/









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Skulduggery from Shetland, courtesy of poet Chris Tait

Irish Folklore by Nina Oram

Saving Private Diaries by Orkney Scriever Alison Miller