Picture this, a day in December


An odd title for the, belated, first blog of the year (and apologies to Blondie), but there is a reason. One of my New Year's resolutions is to take a photograph every day of something pertinent. So far, so good, although some are more interesting than others and I have had to revert to photographing my cats on quieter days, but I wonder if, come December, I shall still be clicking away, or will have long forgotten my January resolve.

My other resolution, inspired by fab notelets I received for Christmas, is to write a 'proper' letter once a month and send it by Royal Mail to a friend or family member. Having long got out of the way of writing letters, this is not an easy task and seems a stupid one, given the convenience of email. No need to buy stamps and find a postbox, instant delivery and possible reply within minutes. However, there is something nice about receiving a letter or card in the post. My daughter did advise me, once, that there was no point getting a card unless there was something in it (money/gift voucher/photo of her cat), but I think just seeing someone's handwriting is enough. You can look back at a letter sent from someone no longer with us and imagine them writing it. Enough of the morbid stuff!

A last resolution is to be more active, hence the photo of me outdoors. Unlike the other two, there is no pass or fail, and the benchmark for being more active compared to 2022 is fairly low.

I wish everyone success in completing your own resolutions. Have a great 2023, whatever!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Skulduggery from Shetland, courtesy of poet Chris Tait

Irish Folklore by Nina Oram

Saving Private Diaries by Orkney Scriever Alison Miller